A memo from Grand Master Mason
I have received several queries about cancelling Lodge meetings as a result of the ongoing Coronavirus situation.
At the time of writing, a total of 7,690 people have been tested in the UK, of which 7,675 were confirmed negative and 15 positives. None of those cases have been in Scotland but it is almost inevitable that it will appear in Scotland at some point – the UK Chief Medical Officers have raised the risk to the public from low to moderate.
The Department of Health and Social Care will be publishing updated data every day at 2pm until further notice so we can keep abreast of developments. The NHS Inform link also has the latest advice https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19.
In the meantime, I would urge everyone to take the precautionary measures outlined by the Health Boards at all Masonic meetings and whilst on Masonic business
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze –
- put used tissues in the bin immediately –
- wash your hands with soap and water often – use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available –
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell –
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
If anyone in any Lodge is diagnosed with the virus, I would advise that the Lodge should immediately cancel all meetings until such time as the local health officials have indicated that it is safe to do so.
Common sense should prevail at all times – take no chances – observe the precautionary measures at all times.
If in any doubt, please contact Grand Lodge for further advice.
W RAMSAY MCGHEE