Sir James McKay House
Sir James McKay House is located in Edinburgh, approximately one mile from the city centre. Following its purchase in 1985 from the Faith Mission Bible College, the building, which had started life in 1906 as the grand family home of a local merchant, was refurbished by Grand Lodge and was opened on 4th July 1989 by His Royal Highness, The Duke of Edinburgh, KT. The stone exterior, high ceilings, ornate cornices and spacious, bright rooms define the building but perhaps the most striking feature is the large stained glass window which is almost the first thing seen by visitors as they enter. The window was installed in memory of the first owner’s wife, Letitia. The inscription reads ‘Post Tenebras Lux’ which translates as ‘After Darkness Light’.
Gillian Hunter is the registered Manager of Sir James MacKay House with a team of 25 full and part time Staff who are dedicated to supporting the Residents. Gillian joined the Staff Team in 1993 as a trainee care assistant. We encourage internal promotion and, after gaining a number of workplace qualifications and reaching a senior grade, Gillian was appointed to the position of Manager in 2001.